The purpose of a community service project is to help those who are in need in our community through practical applications. The Bible instructs us not to “love in word or talk but in deed and in truth” (1Jn.3:18). We Serving our community in a selfless manner for the good and betterment of others is a key part of the Christian education we seek to promote at CCJHS. Ultimately, community service is a chance for students to demonstrate the love of God for others by giving sacrificially of their time and/or resources.
- Every student must complete a minimum of eight (8) hours per school year. These hours may be completed at any time during the school year, including the summer months prior to the start of the year.
- Students will need to complete service that fits within the guidelines stated below.
- Students may complete all eight (8) hours of service at one event, or they may complete their hours in smaller increments at multiple events.
- All community service must be documented on the CCJHS community service form (available in the school office). All community service documentation must be submitted by Friday, June 8, 2018.
- Students who do not complete the mandatory hours of community service will be required to do so during the summer of 2018, after the school year has ended. The CCJHS administration will oversee this portion of the community service program, which may include events on and off campus. Students who ultimately fail to complete their 2017-2018 service hours will not be permitted to enroll at Calvary Chapel Schools for the 2018-2019 academic year.
- Church ministries (children’s ministry, leading worship, event set up/cleanup)
- Youth athletic programs (volunteering as a referee; assisting with clinics/practices)
- Tutoring (helping younger students who are struggling in school)
- Soup kitchens (food prep/service; clean up)
- Beach cleanup (visit hbsurfrider.org)
- Non-profit organizations (use an Internet search engine to help you find opportunities) For more ideas, visit www.volunteermatch.org
The following activities do not qualify as community service:
- Any work done at a for-profit corporation or business
- Helping Calvary Chapel Schools faculty members
- Any work for which the student receives payment of any sort
- Donating money, groceries, clothing, unwanted items, etc.
Please check with the CCJHS administration if you have any questions about whether a particular activity will qualify for community service.